Friday, May 8, 2009

A sigh of relief.

That was the first time since the Columbus series where the Wings fully took control and dominated from the first drop of the...oh dammit the Ducks already scored. Corey Perry is a whiny pest that I have nothing but contempt for. But no matter: it was after that little mishap when the full-on domination began.

I may not have had an immediate recap or a pregame preview, but that doesn't mean I didn't watch the game. I put off my work entirely when the Wings were on, but didn't get a chance to write about it mostly because the last full issue of TNH was being finished and I was up until 6am for that. I even slept through Spanish accidentally this morning, but I'm up now and ready to write. The Wings are back.

The score was 6-3, the pounding was worse than that. The Ducks looked depleted, even after Perry scored another goal in the 2nd period to tie it at 2-2. They were running out of air, running out of time. They missed their chance to put these Wings to bed.

Franzen, Hossa, Filppula. That line was impeccable. Four goals in two periods. Talk about finding the right chemistry...Babcock's genius never ceases to amaze me.

How the hell did Sammy score that goal?! Whenever any goal like that goes in for Samuelsson, you know the Wings are going to win. He hits glass on just about every one of those. Great top corner snipe.

I was really, really mad after game three. I tried to tell myself that if the Wings could win game four handily, it'd be a better result than if they won game three and lost game four. But that thought never really sunk in until now. The Wings have all the momentum, heading back to the Joe and they've broken Hiller's previously unbreakable aura. It was only a matter of time; I think Hiller's play this postseason has been ridiculously overrated anyway. But I'm excited, I can tell you that. Even strength and power play goals both came at will and the Ducks flopped all over the ice trying to slow us down. Nothing worked. This series is back in our hands; let's not drop it fellas.

I don't have much time to go into further detail, but that's how I'm feelin' about the series now. It could change just that fast with a poorly played game five, but this was a big sigh of relief. Way to go, boys. I'm taking most of the weekend off, but I'll be back Sunday with a little pregame insight and a postgame wrap-up for sure.

Go Wings!

No comments: