Thursday, March 19, 2009

It's sensational baby! Michigan's movin' on!


Maybe that's an overreaction to Michigan's 62-59 victory over Clemson in the first round of the NCAA tournament, but that's how I felt when that final buzzer sounded.

Michigan basketball has meant so little to me over the years because they've been a pain to watch almost every year. I had hope last season when they hired John Beilein as their coach, but they lost a school-record 22 games. This year, they have given me a new appreciation for college basketball.

Michigan used dominating defense and very bad shooting from Clemson to grab a big lead at the beginning of the second half and then fell apart at the end, allowing the Tigers to cut their lead to one with less than a minute left. Luckily, Manny Harris saved the team and the game with a great three-point play to seal it. He needs to play this well every game if Michigan wants to keep advancing.
So, the Wolverines move forward. I don't really know enough about basketball to do a whole game wrap-up so I'll just announce what's next: they'll play Oklahoma on Saturday, and they'll be a heavy underdog. I'm thinkin' upset.

GO BLUE! SHUT DOWN THE SOONERS!

No comments: