Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Vote for the First Annual Bueller Awards!

...Bueller?

....Bueller?

Yes, I'm referencing one of my all-time favorite movies once again (for which this blog is named) to call out to the reader(s) of this blog to help vote for the winners of the first annual Bueller Awards.

First off, what are they? Well, these awards are to recognize the best teams, players, people, and events of the year in completely arbitrary categories decided by me. In this post, I will announce the categories, the nominees for each category, and give a short description of each nominee. And sometime in early January, I will take into account the votes from the polls (located on the left side of the blog) and award a shiny new Bueller to each victor. And if you don't like any of the nominees, just pick your favorite one of the choices I give you. Hey, it's what happens when I'm bored at college How exciting! So without further ado, here are your categories and nominees for the 2008 Bueller Awards!

Best Team of 2008, Nominees:
Detroit Red Wings (won Cup in June, great start to 08-09 season)
Boston Celtics (won NBA championship with dominating playoff run)
Philadelphia Phillies (won World Series on a diet of pureed cheese steaks)

Best Performance of 2008, Nominees:
Tiger Woods wins U.S. Open on bum knee
Henrik Zetterberg stops Sid the Kid from tying the game in Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals
Michael Phelps wins 8 Gold Medals in Beijing

Best Album of 2008, Nominees:
The Killers - Day & Age
Coldplay - Viva la Vida
Counting Crows - Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings
Kings of Leon - Only By the Night
Weezer - Weezer (Red Album)

Best Blogger I Constantly Read of 2008, Nominees:
Abel to Yzerman
Maize n Brew
Michigan Against the World
The Triple Deke

Best Movie of 2008, Nominees:
The Dark Knight
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Quantum of Solace
Tropic Thunder

Best Columnist of 2008, Nominees:
Mitch Albom
Rick Reilly
John Buccigross

Biggest Bonehead Athlete of 2008, Nominees:
Plaxico Burress (Accidentally shoots himself at nightclub with concealed weapon)
Sean Avery (Calls out ex-girlfriend, refers to her as "sloppy seconds")
Daunte Culpepper (Comes out of retirement to play for the soon-to-be 0-16 Lions)

That's all I can really come up with at the moment...and I've made the executive decision of being able to make up the categories each year so they might not be the same next December. I'm going to follow up this post (which I wrote mostly last week) with another very shortly afterward so I bid you adieu and I hope you all vote in the Bueller's!

No comments: