Monday, October 13, 2008

2-4, The Miserable Michigan Season Continues..

Sorry for the lack of posting everybody...it was Homecoming weekend here at UNH and I never got around to writing a preview nor a recap of the Michigan game but I'll try to make up for it.

So, as you might have read or seen elsewhere, Michigan lost to a team from Ohio this weekend and it wasn't the Columbus Oxygen Wasters. It was Toledo. Yeah, Toledo. I didn't even realize there was anything in Toledo except that awesome zoo and since I didn't even bother to watch any of the game highlights, I can only assume Michigan got beat by a bunch of trained monkeys that were enrolled in some sort of Throw Footballs, Not Feces program. But in all seriousness, Michigan lost their first game to a MAC opponent in 25 tries by losing to 13-10 at home on Saturday. I can't really comment sufficiently on the game because it wasn't on network TV and I haven't wanted to look up any of the highlights (can you blame me?). This one stings. I mean seriously, it's Toledo. They were 1-4 in the Mid American Conference. They were playing in a hostile environment. This was Michigan's cupcake game to give them a breather in between tough Big Ten contests. And they LOST?! I honestly couldn't believe it. Michigan lost to Toledo to drop to 2-4 on the season and virtually end any hopes of bowl eligibility. Dear God, what is the world coming to?

So, just so everyone knows, I'm officially washing my hands of the Wolverines for this season. That means I will no longer be living on pins and needles for every game or previewing each of their weekend match-ups. I will still watch the games, or however much of them I can stomach. I've never done this before so it will be an interesting experience but I've come to the horrifying but realistic conclusion that Michigan will not win more than 5 games this year at the very best and could very well finish the season 2-10. Their schedule is just too difficult and they are simply an awful team. As disappointed as I am to be writing this, I'm still excited for the Rich Rodriguez era and the championships that are sure to come in the future. But, it is a process. It takes time to completely renovate and rebuild a program. And it is in these dark times that all Michigan players and fans need to remember Bo Schembechler and his incredible words that will live on in the Wolverine clubhouse forever.
So, that is all I have to say about the rest of the Michigan Wolverines 2008 football season. I will still give short recaps of the games in my weekend updates but unless a giant upset happens (say, for example, this weekend at #3 Penn State), you won't hear too much in depth about the Maize and Blue. I like writing about things that make me happy or keep me upbeat; that's why I started this blog, so I could write about the things I want to write about. And frankly, it is too depressing for me to continue to rehash the disappointments of Michigan's season. Instead, I will focus on the rising NHL and any other stories that interest me. Starting...now.

The Red Wings are back to normal after a come-from-behind victory at Ottawa on Saturday where the Senators got kicked by Johan "Mule" Franzen twice in the third period. The Wings play again tonight against Carolina and I'll be watching on the new NHL.com, which is incredibly well done as they made some huge improvements and completely redesigned the site for the beginning of the season. Check it out for a few seconds if you got the time.

Another edition of the Camolumn is in the works...so stay tuned for that this week. It could be posted as soon as tonight and as late as Thursday. Wish you all well, hope you had a good weekend!

No comments: