Sunday, March 16, 2008

St. Patrick's Day Weekend!

Top of the mornin' everybody! I know it's not quite St. Patty's Day yet, but in the spirit of the upcoming holiday, I felt a new post was in order. Here's a nice and green weekend update for you before it's time to break out the Guinness...
  • Eliot Spitzer, who recently resigned as governor of New York, was found to be involved in a prostitution ring. He's known as "Mr. Clean" and makes fighting crime his #1 priority...maybe he felt like he wasn't doing a good enough job of it and deserved a good spanking. Also, he was the one who signed off on the wiretaps that led to this discovery! I mean jeez...I'm starting to think I might pick President Bush or Jessica Simpson for my scholar bowl team over this guy. This whole situation made created a field day for Jon Stewart, and if you missed any of it...watch it here.
  • Michigan's hockey team (ranked #1 in the country) beat Nebraska-Omaha 10-1 and 2-1 in the CCHA Quarterfinals this weekend to move on to the semifinals, held next Friday where they will play either Ferris State or Notre Dame. I really like how this team plays...I'd love to see them get back to the Frozen Four and have a chance for another national title. Reminds me of the days with Marty Turco, John Madden, Brendan Morrison, and, of course, Mike Legg.
  • Michigan's football team held it's first spring practices today and they weren't pretty. After losing so many keys guys from last year's squad, it is surely going to be a rebuilding year with a new coach and a new system in place. I'm optimistic though, and I only hope that if nothing else, they end their losing streak to the Buckeyes when November rolls around.
  • The Red Wings lost this afternoon for the first time in the past six games. The team looks to be back on track for the Stanley Cup and I love their chances. I'm still interested to see how Coach Babcock will handle the decision regarding who will start in goal come playoff time, as Hasek looked to be the favorite but with his injury problems and some stellar play from Ozzie, it could go either way. My money's on Hasek though in the end.
  • As I'm writing, I realize I have less than 23 hours left as a teenager. Crazy huh? St. Patrick's Day is Monday and that will be when I celebrate my 20th birthday. It just seems weird to think that I'll be 20 years old. Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
  • In golf news, Tiger is poised to pounce on another PGA Tour event, the Bay Hill Invitational, as he sits tied for the lead after Saturday's round. He'll play in the final group Sunday afternoon and I can't see anyone else holding the trophy when it's all said and done.
  • You will finally be able to fill out your brackets tomorrow night with the 65 teams that will vie for the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship. The Madness doesn't start until all hell breaks loose on Thursday though, so you have some time to think about your picks. I'd like to see Stanford take home the title, but I don't really see that happening.
  • I watched Glory Road on TV the other night and it was great. I felt like it was basically Remember the Titans, except it featured college basketball instead of high school football. Definitely a feel-good movie though. Final verdict: 4 out of 5 stars.
That's all for tonight ladies and gentlemen, hope you enjoyed the update. Since Monday's are usually a downer, go out there and celebrate arguably the best holiday of the year a day early! Have a happy St. Patrick's Day everybody, don't forget to wear green!

1 comment:

Penny Kittle said...

Happy 20th Birthday, Cam!!
Love,
Mom