Wednesday, March 19, 2008

New Orleans Day One: Bourbon Street

It took me no more than a few minutes to find out that there are literally only five different types of places you can go on Bourbon Street:

1. Bars (with advertisements such as: "HUGE-ASS BEERS! TO GO!")
2. Titty Bars (known as "Gentlemen's Clubs" for the classier crowd)
3. Jazz Bars (no Kenny-G-style-jazz here, these are the real deal)
4. Souvenir and Liquor Stores
5. Restaurants

I hope you can already tell that Bourbon Street is an awesome place, but if you can't, I'll let you in on a little secret. (It's because the two main influences are nudity and alcohol). Unfortunately though, neither of those two baskets of fun are on the menu for a 20-year-old like myself, so instead, I casually walked along the road with my Dad and observed the wonderful sights of the historic street. It was still a lot of fun; we walked by the House of Blues, Preservation Hall, and witnessed acts of public drunkenness followed by public urination.

Overall, I'd say it was a fun first day in the city and I'm looking forward to a good week of golf, excitement, and absolutely delicious dining. The food we had tonight at a local restaurant was fantastic. I love all spicy foods, so I had the "Taste of New Orleans," which included small portions of jambalaya, chicken and sausage gumbo, and red beans with rice. All three were scrumptious and spicy. It was definitely a treat to enjoy such fresh, Cajun-style food right from New Orleans and I look forward to enjoying it all week long.

Tomorrow, my Dad and I will get up early to play the Carter Plantation golf course, designed by PGA Tour professional David Toms. I'll be sure to have another post tomorrow night about the round and the night's activities and I'll do my best to include some pictures too. Until then, so long from the Big Easy!

1 comment:

Peter Kittle said...

Cam, I hope your father related to you that his first trip to the Big Easy was when he was 16, driving from DC to Oregon with your aunt Laura. When they hit Bourbon Street, just about the first thing he did was tell Laura "I'm going in there," pointing to a topless bar, and then proceeded to do just that. I guess things were a little more lax back then. Plus he wasn't with his father!