Sunday, January 13, 2008

Ho Hum Saturday Followed by Upset Sunday!

Wow! The NFL divisional match-ups just wrapped up and I couldn't have been more surprised with the results from today. Yesterday, the Patriots finished off a very good Jacksonville team and Green Bay took care of Seattle, just as I predicted. Today however, San Diego upset Indianapolis and New York upset the Cowboys, both incorrect picks on my part. If you look back to my previous post about the playoffs, I did say that I thought New York had everything going their way to pull off the upset, I just didn't think Eli could perform like an NFL quarterback...rather than the whiny kid routine he usually pulls on Sundays. I did see Dallas possibly losing because, let's face it, they've been setting themselves up for a loss ever since they pulled out a miracle win against the Lions but the Colts losing?! I did not see that one coming. Wow. Even with Philip Rivers missing in the most important parts of the game and LT missing about half of the game, they still managed to win. I personally thought this game would be something like...Colts 45, Chargers 14 but I gotta hand it to the Bolts, they came to play. Of course, these two upset wins make my Super Bowl choices even more likely. The prospect of San Diego winning at New England is basically impossible (not to mention they could be without Rivers, Gates, or LT) and considering their loss there earlier in the year AND the fact that they match up terribly with the Pats, I'm picking Brady and company big. In the NFC Champsionship, I'm picking the Packers because the Giants have gone down to Tampa Bay and over to Dallas to pull off two upsets and they are a great road team but seriously...the Pack at Lambeau? You gotta be kiddin' me. Packers by a touchdown, Pats by three. Those are my picks. See you in Arizona.


Moving away from sports now...I give you some movie reviews!

The Heartbreak Kid: It breaks my heart (ha ha...too easy) to see a cool guy like Ben Stiller continue to do movies like this. It was cool five or ten years ago but come on, man. You're 42. Technically the role fit the age but...it felt a little stretched. Loved Malin Akerman though...she did a good job and you have to appreciate the fact that she has no problem going topless in every acting job she gets. (Harold and Kumar, Entourage Season 3). Final verdict - 3 out of 5 stars.

Hot Rod: It grew on me by the end but for a while there it was right down there with Napoleon Dynamite as the worst movie I've ever seen. Isla Fisher (Wedding Crashers) and the non-Seth Rogen cop from Superbad were good characters though so...I was able to give it a little bump up. Final verdict - 1 out of 5 stars (Hey, I said little).

Hot Fuzz: Awesome. Worth every penny. The two guys from Shaun of the Dead come back to do a great job and make this movie even more enjoyable. Basically, this movie absolutely brings the awesome. Yeah I said it, it brings the awesome. Final verdict - 4.5 out of 5 stars.

As a final note, here's some music to listen to:

The Who - "The Seeker"
The White Stripes - "Icky Thump" and "You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told)"
Dispatch - "Two Coins"
Incubus - "Stellar"
Kanye West - "Good Life"

That's it and that's all...'s just for decoration.

No comments: