Sunday, January 20, 2008

Championship Sunday!

And then there were two.

The New England Patriots and the New York Giants advanced to Super Bowl XVII today and will play in two weeks on February 3rd. My pick is obvious (or is it?) but first, I will relay the results of today's games with you.

In the opening game, the New England Patriots continued their dominating run at an undefeated season with a 21-12 win over the San Diego Chargers. The game wasn't really close, the Patriots dominated the game with their usual "bend-but-not-break" strategy of defense. They never allowed the Chargers to score a touchdown and were it not for an unlucky interception at the end of the first half and a poor decision by Tom Brady in the red zone, the score would have been a more lopsided victory. The Patriots are entitled some mistakes though, and I will give the Chargers defense credit. They stopped the Patriots from solidifying their drives for while until they finally caved to the insurmountable talent that the Patriots possess. Chargers fans will moan and groan about how "if LT played the whole game" or "if Rivers was 100%"...baloney. The Patriots are the best team in the history of professional football and they were lucky to share the field with them twice in their season of perfection. (Yes, they will win the Super Bowl, sorry New Yorkers)...(I'm not sorry...)

Now onto the NFC Championship Game where the New York Giants upset the Green Bay Packers 23-20 in overtime to win on an incredible 47-yard field goal by Lawrence Tynes. Although I picked the Packers, the Giants played well and made Brett Favre avoid making mistakes...something he failed to do in the critical moments of the game (see - first possession in overtime). I didn't watch much of this game because well...frankly, I did not care who would win the battle to fly to Arizona and lose to the Patriots in two weeks. I will say this however: I noticed my friend's away message on AIM that said "THE GIANTS ARE GOING TO THE 'SHIP" and they did go to the 'ship. They went, and they won (the NFC Championship... or, as the modern world now calls it, Second Place). Since they are now going to the Super Bowl I congratulate them on a good season that will end with a colossal failure when the real Eli Manning finally shows himself (his brother Peyton has been playing for him in a Giants uniform during his recent successes).

All things considered...my Super Bowl Pick is Patriots 34, Giants 20.

That's all I have for tonight...so adios amigos, y puede la fuerza está con usted.

No comments: