Friday, December 14, 2007

Rodriguez on the Horizon? Also, Movies and Music

The Michigan coaching search just got more interesting today when the Detroit Free Press reported that Rich Rodriguez, the head coach at West Virginia, was meeting with the team today. If you recall from my previous post about the coaching search, he was my number two guy for the job still left. I like Brian Kelly's body of work more but I would be very satisfied if Bill Martin can pull off a miracle and hire Rich Rodriguez. The main problem is his rather high $4 million buyout from West Virginia...but if Michigan thinks he is really the guy, they'll pay it.


Now, after I sat awhile contemplating what to do with my Friday afternoon, I decided to knock another movie off of my "To Watch" list. This time, it was Walk the Line, starring Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon. I must say it is a wonderful work of cinema and Phoenix does a great job portraying Johnny Cash. His "Best Actor" Oscar nomination was definitely merited, though I still vote for Jamie Foxx's incredible impersonation of Ray Charles. I understand now what Cash's drug problem was, with his addiction to amphetamines and barbiturates, but throughout the movie I continued to wonder what kinds of pills he was taking, since it was never explicitly said. Other than that, I found the movie to be very well directed and the acting was brilliant. Witherspoon's character was incredibly well cast and really made me feel like she was June Carter. I would rate this movie highly, on the Sam Garland scale, it would probably be about a 90 out of 100.

On a different note, there's some more good music I thought I'd throw in for you. Green Day recently released a "secret project" record featuring six songs under the band name the Foxboro Hot Tubs. You can listen to the songs on the band's myspace page, they're all pretty good and sound a lot more like the Strokes or the Hives than the older Green Day stuff. It's worth a listen if you like Green Day and it's about time they came out with some new stuff since their last album, American Idiot. Also, I would recommend these songs and albums:

All Kinds of Time by Fountains of Wayne
Phantom Limb by the Shins
Pinch Me by the Barenaked Ladies
Drive In, Drive Out by Dave Matthews Band
Chase This Light by Jimmy Eat World
Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too by the New Radicals
Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace by the Foo Fighters

One final note, if you haven't seen it already, check out the video below (also found on YouTube) of my buddy Brant eating a burger with cookies for buns on a bet. Enjoy...it's long but if you watch his eyes for many different funny looks, it's worth it.



Have a good weekend everybody! Adios for now..

No comments: